COMBO Montessori Shelf and BookshelfSKU: EN-BS06N602
This set includes 1 x Montessori Bookshelf and 1 x Shelf, which promotes independence through free choice.
The Montessori Bookshelf: With its 2- level front-facing book display encourages reading. It allows babies and young toddlers to easily see the face of the books on display for an active choice. At the same time, this design invites the child to naturally and independently take out and put back books and to arrange them according to their own preferences. All are aspects that encourage an early interest in books and literacy.
The Montessori Shelf: This updated Montessori-inspired shelf allows young children to choose freely from the toys and activities you have prepared on the shelf, making their learning self-driven and accessible. The top shelf makes also a great working surface for your child’s activities. The storage shelf dimensions are intended for babies and young toddlers who are beginning to be mobile. They can easily reach either the bottom or top shelf. The shelf is designed with the intention of toys or activities to be placed directly on the shelf.
Additionally, the bookshelf has handles on either side making it easy for caregivers to pick it up and move it around, to adapt the layout of the room as needed. Edges are smooth and rounded for comfortable use.
Should combine with other Montessori Shelves to create a perfect environment for your child.
- Material: Solid Rubber Wood
- Dimension: W60 x D25 x H35 cm
- Handles on either side to easily move around
- Child-friendly design with smooth and rounded edges
+ Product should be put against a wall or something else to provide support. Make sure the surface is flat and the item is standing without any shaking.
+ TIP: Put 2 bookcases together back-to-back and you have a little island for your child.
How to use the Montessori Bookshelf and Shelf effectively?
- Book Display: Books should be placed on the shelf side by side and not in front of another book so as to allow for full visibility and for those little hands to easily grasp the book they want to look at. Front-facing bookshelves also make it easier for children to return a book to the shelf independently and successfully. Children quickly learn to respect books as each book has a proper place on the shelf and can carefully be taken off and placed back on the shelf with little to no help from adults.
- Book Rotation: The bookshelf should be uncluttered, calming, and inviting. This means that not all of your child’s books will be displayed at one time. By observing your child reading his/her books you can see when your child losing interest in one & it can be rotated out of the shelf. Therefore, children always feel refreshed and keep interested in reading. When rotating books, you don’t need to rotate all at once-especially if your child is still interested in a certain book. Additionally, it is up to you if you choose to rotate books while your child is awake and present or do it as a surprise while they sleep. With book rotation, this does mean you will store the books displayed out of sight of your child.
- Organization: Organize the toys and activities in baskets or directly on the shelves. As with most Montessori activities, actions are carried out left to right, top to bottom, and simple to complex to mimic the direction followed for writing and reading- and so shelf organization follows this order. It is all about accessibility: a baby that can crawl to the shelf and sit up will be able to independently choose an activity from both the lower and top shelves.
- Toy Rotation: The activity shelves should be uncluttered, calming, and inviting. This means that not all of your child’s toys and activities will be displayed at one time. Instead, by observing your child you can make conscious decisions about which type of toys or activities interest them and which are developmentally appropriate. Select around 4-6 different activities and display those on the shelves. If you see your child losing interest in an activity or if it is either too easy or too difficult it can be rotated out of the shelf. When rotating toys and activities, you don’t need to rotate all at once-especially if your child is still working with and interested in a toy. Additionally, it is up to you if you choose to rotate toys while your child is awake and present, or do it as a surprise while they sleep. With toy rotation, this does mean you will store the toys and activities not being displayed out of sight of your child.
- Leave Activities ‘Undone’: Leave the activity on the shelf in its basket ‘undone’. This tends to draw children in more and gives them the opportunity to work through and try to complete the task independently first. For example, if you have a ring stacker, leave the rings in the basket next to the stacker so children can take the basket down and complete the stacking activity first, before returning to the shelf.
+ Every three months, check the product and tighten the screws (if loose).
+ Clean the product with a soft towel to drain. Do not immerse the product in water or chemicals.
+ Indoor use only, in a dry and well-ventilated area. Avoid wet locations, high temperatures, strong light sources, and combustible objects.
+ Do not use sharp objects to rub the product.
Read more about how to use the Multifunctional Bookshelf on our blog: